News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-05, 10:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Why was the Coyote ejected?

anyone know?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-05, 10:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

maybe he took a technical for Pop

"You're being rude to me. Don't chain me down with your manners."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-16-05, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

cose he jumped into the wolves bench frog splash WWE style. i think he got too excited
Old 03-16-05, 10:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

i think it was when wally hit beno with the hard foul on the layup attempt. after the foul, the coyote got close to the players as to pretending to pick a fight. and at that point i think i some people got him out of there.
11-Time NBA All-Star
3-Time NBA Finals MVP
3-Time NBA Champion
2-Time NBA MVP

And Still Going...

Last edited by samstheman; 03-16-05 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-16-05, 10:35 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I believe he strapped an ACME rocket on to his back while wearing ACME rollerskates. He rolled right into the Wolves huddle during the time out, making McHale look up and say, "Stop the tom-foolery will ya?"
Old 03-16-05, 10:42 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

HAHHAHAHHAHAAHHAH they just showed it on TV, Ref to Pop, yeah the Coyote is gone, ahhahahahhahahahhahaha.........

First time I saw a damn mascot get ejected, I nearly died when the ref said yeah the Coyote is gone, wonder if a fine and suspension is coming.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 03-16-05, 10:44 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The ref Kersey was out to lunch the entire game. The calls made tonight were absolutely pathetic. If the game were called straight up, it wouldd have been a 40 point blow out. The Coyote got thrown out because of his usual, "don't hold me back, I'm going to kick his ars" routine. The official again missed the call. And guess who it was? You guessed it, Kersey.

Has anyone else thought that the officials in the last 3 or 4 weeks have been lame? I mean, can we get an AMEN from the congregation?!
Old 03-16-05, 10:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

what a joke that was
Old 03-16-05, 10:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

OMG I thought the BSPN guys were joking bout this lmao...that's pretty lame
Old 03-16-05, 11:15 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

i saw that tonight. It was hilarious, but I didn't realize he was kicked out until I read it tonight.

I thought it was pretty funny what he did at the time, thought Wally might have had a flagrant at first, saw the replay, saw that it wasn't, but then bruce and wally jib at each other....
Old 03-16-05, 11:16 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Was it Kersey that tossed him?
Old 03-16-05, 11:21 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

THEY CAN'T DO THAT --??? CAN THEY?

It was a joke right?
Old 03-16-05, 11:26 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Yep, Kersey did it. Although Kersey made some horrible calls tonight, this was not one of them. I am not sure what the Coyote was thinking about when he did that. Oh well, the cave will be cold all night until NY calls him in the morning.
Old 03-17-05, 01:18 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

We were at the game and I didn't realize he was actually ejected. I saw him messing around and having fun, but isn't that what mascots are for? It was random.
Old 03-17-05, 01:20 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Here's TD's take on the situation (from MySA):

Duncan totaled 25 points, 14 rebounds, six assists and five blocks, but he chose to measure the team's feistiness by the strength of its mascot: Veteran official Jess Kersey ejected the Coyote late in the third quarter for pretending he was going to fight Szczerbiak.

"That's the kind of toughness we have," Duncan said. "They were scared of him, so they had to toss him."
Old 03-17-05, 01:44 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

ESPN motion has a video recap of the game, including the hard foul on Beno, the Coyote and the ejection (with clear audio).

It doesn't show whether the Coyote tossed a beverage or not...
Old 03-17-05, 02:04 AM
Administrator

From MYSA.COM:

The Coyote, the Spurs' furry and supposedly lovable mascot, was ejected after Wednesday's third quarter.

"That," Tim Duncan said, "is the greatest thing I've ever heard."

After Wally Szczerbiak cracked Spurs guard Beno Udrih with a hard foul at the Spurs' basket, the Coyote pretended like he was going to run at the Minnesota guard. It was a skit the mascot has used frequently, but one veteran official Jess Kersey apparently didn't find too funny.

Kersey, who didn't like how close the Coyote was to the court, walked over to the scorer's table and told Don Costante, the team's director of game operations and promotions he was ejecting the mascot.

"I want the wolf out of here!" Kersey said. "He's gone! Now!"

The Coyote never returned.

It's unclear whether the Coyote will be subjected to the $1,000 fine, or whether he even has a bank account.

"You can't get mad at the Coyote for doing that," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "He was just trying to get the crowd hyped.

"That was another bad call."
Old 03-17-05, 03:37 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanThree
ESPN motion has a video recap of the game, including the hard foul on Beno, the Coyote and the ejection (with clear audio).

Watch the expression on the face of the other ref (#24) as the ejection is announced. Priceless.
Old 03-17-05, 03:45 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Go to spurs.com and watch the post-game video- funny, funny stuff from Tim, Robert, and Tony on the coyote's ejection!
Old 03-17-05, 05:11 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

That was an absured ejection.
I guess the refs just wanted to stop the bleeding in any ways, so they just took action to make everyone calm down.....
Old 03-17-05, 05:52 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
yep

I mean who the F ejects the freakin Mascot? The Coyote at that?
Old 03-17-05, 06:48 AM
SpursReport Assistant Coach

Yes, the Coyote has been the perpetrator of 99% of the violence that has occurred on the hardwood floors, It's about time a ref had the gonads to toss him out, .

Kersey must made about 20 bad calls or non-calls, but he got this one right.

And where the hell was Mrs. Coyote, someone needs to put a rein on this wolf, (is he from the wolf family.)
Old 03-17-05, 07:04 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marknum
The ref Kersey was out to lunch the entire game. The calls made tonight were absolutely pathetic. If the game were called straight up, it wouldd have been a 40 point blow out. The Coyote got thrown out because of his usual, "don't hold me back, I'm going to kick his ars" routine. The official again missed the call. And guess who it was? You guessed it, Kersey.

Has anyone else thought that the officials in the last 3 or 4 weeks have been lame? I mean, can we get an AMEN from the congregation?!
Last 3 or 4 weeks??? Try the last 3 or 4 YEARS!

NBA refs are the worst in pro sports. They seem especially bad when they officiate a Spurs game - and I'm not saying that simply because of my obvious bias as a Spurs fan. I honestly believe the refs don't know what to do with a team so talented and capable that is at the same time quiet and self-effacing. So, it seems, they call fouls in favor of the chest-pounding, push-up-doing fools who get all the endorsements and hype in this league. I've been complaining about this for a while now, especially how we don't seem to have a home-court advantage when it comes to officiating.

Cleveland Cavs are going down the same road the Spurs went down a few years ago, and interestingly enough they seem to have similar officiating problems on their own home court.

I think the NBA needs to replace some (like Baveta and Kersey), and staff each game with at least 2 more. Or, they need to implement more replays (but I don't want that because it will slow down the game).

BTW: he's a COYOTE, NOT a WOLF! BIG difference. That Kersey didn't even know the Spurs mascot was a coyote and not a wolf tells me how competent he is.
Old 03-17-05, 08:05 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Idiot official.

If the Coyote is fined.....count me in for $25 bucks to help pay off the fine.
Old 03-17-05, 08:11 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

yeah....where can i send my nickel and two pieces of lint to help pay the fine?
Old 03-17-05, 08:21 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
yep

I mean who the F ejects the freakin Mascot? The Coyote at that?
The same guy who calls imaginary fouls during three point shots in big playoff games.

Kersey was getting an early start on St Patricks last night. That guy is just not up to it.
Old 03-17-05, 08:24 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineForLife
Last 3 or 4 weeks??? Try the last 3 or 4 YEARS!

NBA refs are the worst in pro sports. They seem especially bad when they officiate a Spurs game - and I'm not saying that simply because of my obvious bias as a Spurs fan. I honestly believe the refs don't know what to do with a team so talented and capable that is at the same time quiet and self-effacing. So, it seems, they call fouls in favor of the chest-pounding, push-up-doing fools who get all the endorsements and hype in this league. I've been complaining about this for a while now, especially how we don't seem to have a home-court advantage when it comes to officiating.

Cleveland Cavs are going down the same road the Spurs went down a few years ago, and interestingly enough they seem to have similar officiating problems on their own home court.

I think the NBA needs to replace some (like Baveta and Kersey), and staff each game with at least 2 more. Or, they need to implement more replays (but I don't want that because it will slow down the game).

BTW: he's a COYOTE, NOT a WOLF! BIG difference. That Kersey didn't even know the Spurs mascot was a coyote and not a wolf tells me how competent he is.

This is a completely homer post and the last line is dumber than ejecting a mascot who didn't set foot on the court or make contact with a player.
Old 03-17-05, 08:33 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
This is a completely homer post
actually some of it is true. There is quite a few NBA officals that flat just suck. most people know it. People like Kersey need to retire already
Old 03-17-05, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...1464ae00a.html

Spurs notebook: Official doesn't feel any love for Coyote
Web Posted: 03/17/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

The Coyote, the Spurs' furry and supposedly lovable mascot, was ejected after Wednesday's third quarter.

After Wally Szczerbiak cracked Spurs guard Beno Udrih with a hard foul at the Spurs' basket, the Coyote pretended like he was going to run at the Minnesota guard. It was a skit the mascot has used frequently, but one veteran official Jess Kersey apparently didn't find too funny.

Kersey, who didn't like how close the Coyote was to the court, walked over to the scorer's table and told Don Costante, the team's director of game operations and promotions he was ejecting the mascot.

The Coyote never returned.

It's unclear whether the Coyote will be subjected to the $1,000 fine, or whether he even has a bank account.

"You can't get mad at the Coyote for doing that," Spurs forward Robert Horry said. "He was just trying to get the crowd hyped.

"That was another bad call."

Wolf?!?!?!
Old 03-17-05, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjjrfan
And where the hell was Mrs. Coyote, someone needs to put a rein on this wolf, (is he from the wolf family.)
Old 03-17-05, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

http://video.woai.com/launcher/94681,565/

listen to Tim Duncans coyote comments (@ the end of the interview)
Old 03-17-05, 09:16 AM
SpursReport Mod Geezer

Quote:
Spurs were playing the Wolves last night. Hmmm...Anyone stop to think that Kersey was speaking
of Wally.
Old 03-17-05, 09:26 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs biggest fan
THEY CAN'T DO THAT --??? CAN THEY?

It was a joke right?
Yeah, it seems weird, but if anything happens that could incite havoc...they're gone including mascots.
Old 03-17-05, 10:15 AM
SR 2010 Western Conference Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amente
Spurs were playing the Wolves last night. Hmmm...Anyone stop to think that Kersey was speaking
of Wally.

I think everybody here, (except Amente) is wrong. Kersey is a good ref and he makes fine calls . The problem is he is so good that nobody understands him . He was trying to eject the "wolf", not the "coyote".
Old 03-17-05, 10:25 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Obviously Kersey's sense of humor is on par with Sean Penn at the Oscars.
Old 03-17-05, 12:33 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I just saw the replay on the news -- this is a skit that the coyote pulls in almost every game. I think it had something to do with the fact that the coyote was so close to Wally when he pulled the stunt. Either way it is freakin hilarious

I especially loved the players reaction especially Tim and Bowen. Bowen said something like "players do worse things like curse at the refs -- where is the justice"
Old 03-17-05, 01:25 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Alright we need to BOO Kersey the same way we BOO D.Anderson.

I don't think the NBA refs are the wrost in pro sports, but Kersey has now made a new enemy.
Old 03-17-05, 01:34 PM

You know something....

After the hard foul by the Wolves on that play and tempers getting heated , Do we really need the Cotote to act like he wants to start a fight with the T-Wolves???

I understand it was a joke but with all the the stuff with Artest and other things that went on that night Detroit, that left such a bad image on the NBA, the Coyote does not need to make a reaction like that , even if every Spurs fan like myself knows it was only for fun.

If that night did not happen in Detroit this year......the Coyote would have never been thrown out.

All you need is a couple drunk guys in the front row to see some Spurs players pushing and cursing with the Wolves players and then you see the Coyote doing the same, a bunch of drunks could just run on the floor and start a fight with the players.

I may be wrong....but I think the Ref might have done the right thing,
Brooklyn's #1 Spurs fan!!!
Old 03-17-05, 01:35 PM

AL, the Coyote does that all the time....never been thrown out before.
Old 03-17-05, 01:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

F'n lighten up, get the stick out your arse...
Old 03-17-05, 01:53 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
I may be wrong....but I think the Ref might have done the right thing
What?!

its a bit the coyote has done for YEARS. he never made contact with anyone

to get thrown out for that was just crazy
Old 03-17-05, 02:28 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzG
actually some of it is true. There is quite a few NBA officals that flat just suck. most people know it. People like Kersey need to retire already
like my great friend,

bennett salvatore
Old 03-17-05, 02:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

perhaps Kersey comes from a livestock-raising background and has been taught from birth that all coyotes are a distinct threat to his way of life.
Old 03-17-05, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickowskay
perhaps Kersey comes from a livestock-raising background and has been taught from birth that all coyotes are a distinct threat to his way of life.
Or maybe he's freakin' ignorant and needs to be benched indefinitely.
Old 03-17-05, 03:23 PM

is this the 1st time a mascot has been ejected?

lol

Old 03-17-05, 03:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I've never seen that, a mascot get ejected, incredable and stupid act by the ref
Old 03-17-05, 03:34 PM

The announcers said that Benny the Bull (Chicago) got ejected during a few playoff games....
Old 03-17-05, 03:42 PM

I just saw the highlight footage on ESPN where the coyote got ejected. HILARIOUS! I cant believe he got tossed for that bit.
Old 03-17-05, 04:33 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The new Coyote has now earned my utmost respect. He's still a little green and not quite as funny as Tim Derk was. But this is an amazing accomplishment. He is a hero to us all.
Old 03-17-05, 04:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
The new Coyote has now earned my utmost respect. He's still a little green and not quite as funny as Tim Derk was. But this is an amazing accomplishment. He is a hero to us all.
There is not one Coyote, there were like 3 and Tim Derk was just one of them.

Now there is just 2 unless they got someone else.