News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-10, 09:49 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Charles Barkley: "The Dallas Mavericks are the best team in Texas."

He just said it on TNT. I love Charles, but he sure does love putting his foot in his mouth.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-16-10, 09:54 PM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

They were teasing this man for the longest about his indecisiveness and he FINALLY makes a statement...and its this? smh

Chuck is a cool dude but I can't wait for him to eat crow!

I'm Batman's cousin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-16-10, 10:42 PM
The Master Baiter

As much as people don't want to admit, the Mavs are better equipped to compete with the Lakers and Celtics and have already beaten the Spurs once.
Old 12-16-10, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
As much as people don't want to admit, the Mavs are better equipped to compete with the Lakers and Celtics and have already beaten the Spurs once.
Equipped? Mavs have ALWAYS had the better team on PAPER...they did last year and were killed by the Spurs. Dirk has ALWAYS have better offensive numbers than Duncan but in the playoffs he gets kilt by Timmay.

The Mavs add Chandler which is nice but is not as relevant as most make it. I seen him peak when he was with the Hornets and Spurs still beat them when it counted. So until the Mavs prove it WHEN IT COUNTS, I think the Spurs are owed the benefit of the doubt.

"Mavs better equipped to compete the Lakers"...we heard the SAME EXACT MESS last year...look what happened.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 12-16-10, 11:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

AT this point, I have no problems with people putting Dallas and LAL ahead of the Spurs. There is no reason to think that LAL wont be the team to beat come playoff time. Dal is just a step behind record-wise (barely) and beat the Spurs this season. Dal is an improved team compared to last year.

I am glad SAS has the best record but they are still a work in progress.
Old 12-17-10, 12:04 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Dallas is playing well. Spurs are winning a lot of games and shooting well, but our defense has not been stellar. We knew going in this was going to be the easy part of our schedule. So I don't have a problem with saying Dallas is looking like a better team now.

But CB is actually saying that we can't win a title in our current form with Manu as our best player. That's the part I disagree with.

To me it's not about that-- it's about whether our defense returns to title form. Which it is doing in the 2nd half tonight.
Old 12-17-10, 12:43 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Grizzly's right. It's our defense that must get better to compete with LA or Dallas.
Old 12-17-10, 12:50 AM
SpursReport 2010 Pick The Winner Champion

I´m liking our season so far. And TV Analysts can say whatever. For or against us. When times matter, one team will prevail. Hopefully the Spurs
Old 12-17-10, 12:52 AM

I just don't understand why people always give the Mavs the nod over the Spurs...the Mavs are fools gold...just like Phoenix was all those years. You guys may be impressed but I'm not...not saying SA can't improve on defense but the jury SHOULD still be out on the Mavs.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 12-17-10, 01:00 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I can see why someone would pick Dallas at this point, but Barkley was overdoing it a bit....which is how it always is on TNT. A lot of times he will simply serve as the opposing argument for the sake of being able to appeal to as many fans as possible. Don't worry, deep down he knows....

Now as for Reggie Miller? Man, that dude is a tool. He can't stand to say anything favorable about the spurs.
Is our defense that good? I think so. And the scary part is that the whole team seems to take a sadistic pride in shutting people down. What is Pop feeding them? They looked brainwashed out there, a single minded machine that just eats up their opponents. -----pjrfan
Old 12-17-10, 01:32 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't have any issues with anyone picking another team over the Spurs at this point. Until Splitter and Anderson are part of the full Spurs package, who know's? P.S. Boston is awsome.
Old 12-17-10, 04:21 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipmode Master View Post
I just don't understand why people always give the Mavs the nod over the Spurs...the Mavs are fools gold...just like Phoenix was all those years. You guys may be impressed but I'm not...not saying SA can't improve on defense but the jury SHOULD still be out on the Mavs.
I completely agree with you. I do not understand it either! Truly I don't. Who are the Mavericks outside of Dirk Nowitzki? They are not as deep as people think they are and the Spurs perfectly proved that last year. But now with the supposed wonderful addition of Tyson Chandler, another center who simply replaced Dampier but not his shooting, they are contenders. WHAT? It does not follow; that is a non sequitur if there ever was one. I don't doubt their regular season victories but I do doubt their post season competence. May 2006 be forever etched into the minds of the Mavericks franchise and their fan base.

I would say the Spurs and Mavericks are on par with one another but the advantage still goes to the Spurs. We have the better record, we beat them in the post season last year, and we are a deeper team. I know-I sound like a zealous Spurs fanatic. But the truth is the truth and I am sorry if it hurts. Short of a drastic trade which would provide Nowitzki with a reliable and competent partner-in-crime, this team will be a championship-contending write-off, a Christmas ornament if you will: pretty on the outside but its fragility just waiting to be exposed.

"Fool's gold"-spot on sir!
Old 12-17-10, 07:51 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Say what you want about Dallas being better than the Spurs or the Lakers being better than the Spurs. All I know is that I will take wins over losses any day and twice on Sunday. The Spurs are winning. I know their defense isn't what we are used to given what happened in the championship years, but if they keep winning......I'LL TAKE IT!!!!

So far, the Spurs have been winning the majority of the games they have no business winning, and winning the majority of the close games. That is a good thing.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 12-17-10, 08:41 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Dallas was just given the kiss of death by Barkley. He picks a team, it goes downhill. Anyone know how often he's been right?
Old 12-17-10, 08:43 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD

HHAHAHAHA that's so right, he always picks the other team
Old 12-17-10, 09:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I liked how Charles talked about Duncan being on the decline as he put up 28 and 16 and 4 blocks. I think everyone forgets how often Duncan coasts through the season only to step it up in the playoffs. And if he declines physically what of it? When as he ever relied on athleticism to put up the numbers he did last night? Manu is the best player on this team and TD is one hell of a solid anchor. I don't know how Chuck could think we're not even contenders, but what else is new?
Old 12-17-10, 09:36 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Round Mound does that on purpose. If he were to say that the Spurs were the best team in Texas, there wouldn't be much conversation on it. Now.......if he was to stir the pot and say that the Mavs were the best team in Texas............Now he's got all kinds of people talking about what he said. Charles knows what he's doing. He is a very smart man.

That would be like me saying that Ernie Johnson is the best/funniest analyst on TNT.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 12-17-10, 12:32 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Yes, but Kenny's stuff was a bit more telling. The really important thing was his comment about the Spurs not having the most talented team, but finding ways to outsmart the other team by playing as a team and winning. It was almost a comparison to the old Packers' philosophy, here we come with a sweep. Stop us if you can! Possibly this is playing a game of semantics, but can we ask Chuck if he would agree the team from Texas with the best players, may not be playing the best "team ball"?

The best team often does not beat the team, which plays the best as a team on a given night. I seriously doubt the Spurs have even hit their stride yet, which is even more scary.

I said a few days ago, they are gradually working their way into being a team which can compete on an even level with all the so-called big boys and quite fortunately they have been able to blend their pieces together in a sort of extended "preseason" while having regular season pressure for all the new pieces.
Old 12-17-10, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'd love to see us keep hold of the #1 playoff seed and then watch Dallas and LA beat the hell out of each other in the semifinals while we face a less dangerous opponent. That's why all these wins matter so much. It's tight.
Old 12-17-10, 04:01 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickowskay View Post
I'd love to see us keep hold of the #1 playoff seed and then watch Dallas and LA beat the hell out of each other in the semifinals while we face a less dangerous opponent. That's why all these wins matter so much. It's tight.
That there would be great! Ideal.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 12-23-10, 07:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Barkley continuing his spurs hate... Thank god for Kenny . Spurs=Marvin gay. Mavs=eminem.
Old 12-23-10, 08:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Chunk just said it again and he actually guaranteed that by next Thursday, Mavericks will be ahead of Spurs, record-wise!

So basically he guranteed that Spurs will lose to LaL and Mavericks, L-A-M-E!!!
Old 12-23-10, 10:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Charles can kiss my... well you know where I am going. Can't wait til the boys prove him wrong yet one more time. I hope he bets the rest of what he owns on the Mavs... I'm not a believer of anything coming out of Dallas... except the shopping.. it is exceptional!

Old 12-25-10, 01:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

someone should just pop a cap in his azz.
Old 12-25-10, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb-A-Coa View Post
Charles can kiss my... well you know where I am going. Can't wait til the boys prove him wrong yet one more time. I hope he bets the rest of what he owns on the Mavs... I'm not a believer of anything coming out of Dallas... except the shopping.. it is exceptional!

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?! lol
Old 12-25-10, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I like turtles.